Saturday, May 3, 2008

Birthday gift dilemma

Yesterday was my brother's 24th birthday, and today is my best friend Iliana's 26th birthday. I love birthdays, because it's a celebration of the birth of a loved one... and of another year having the person in your life.

But every time someone's birthday comes around, I get caught in the worst cracking-of-the-brain trying to come up with a meaningful present to give. This is especially so for those whom I've known for very very long, and whom I love very much. For me, every time I give something to someone I treasure, I want it to be something meaningful and useful. Not just some random marketing-gimmick mug or picture frame.

Sometimes, I will know in advance what to get someone, either because there's something they obviously need and can't afford/don't manage to get around buying it themselves, or because they straight-out mention it's something they want as a gift (which I prefer! Makes my job in present-hunting easier :D), or I stumble upon something that I know will light up their day. Other times however, as in the case of Izhar and Iliana this year... I'm left clueless. They both tell me there's nothing they need or want, and that's not helping!

A number of my close friends can attest to getting their presents months -sometimes even close to a year- later. That's what I usually resort to.. not buying someone anything, until I find the perfect gift. And finding the perfect gift for the perfect person every year is not an easy task!

But then again, I also like to randomly buy gifts or treats for my loved ones for no reason. Things that I know they'd love. So hopefully, that makes up for my inability to find birthday presents in a timely manner!


Soundtrack: PlayRadioPlay - See You Soon
Mood: Perky
Location: Hoxe's Cafe
Random thought: What cool stuff can I kirim from Japan?


2 comments:

Songs aBout JESSie said...

oh..u have a blogger acount.. can i link this new one to my blog?

Fizzy Fizah said...

Hey babe! Sure thing.. link away! ;-)