Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A great day for America and the World

I am not an American, and the closest tie I have to that country is my Uncle Bob who is married to my maternal aunt, Mak Teh.

Yet I stayed glued to the TV last night up until 2am, watching live telecasts of voting polls opening across the US of A. I woke up early this morning, and immediately ran out of the room to switch the TV on and check on standings. And once in the office, I've been tuned in to the live video feed on CNN.com, heart racing as bit by bit polls close and I see the numbers for Obama rise... and rise... and finally... VICTORY!

So why do I care so much? I don't give this much attention or concern about my own country's politics. So why America, and why now? Well. Obama is why. And I think that is the answer for why millions of other non-Americans around the world are more captivated and supportive of this year's elections as any other. Obama seemed to have appeared at the right time... a beacon of hope for Americans, and a symbol of change for the world. And a historical one at that!

Don't get me wrong. I am not wishing that I am an American, or that I am professing my utmost love for a nation I'm so far removed from. But as much as one might try to ignore or deny it, America is somewhat the 'center of the world'. The superpower nation. Their foreign policies impact more lives globally than any other country's. The Bush administration has wreaked havoc not only for his country but worse still, other nations as well.

Obama has promised change. And after following the presidential debates and watching him address his nation, I have faith in him and what he can do for his country. True, there is still a tiny cynical voice inside me which is saying "well anyone can promise a bright and peachy future. He's probably just an extremely charismatic salesman who can make you believe in anything". But for once I think I'll put my cynicism on politicians aside, and risk believing. If there's anyone in this world today who I think is worth risking my belief in, it's Barrack Obama.

So America.. congratulations! For voting your first African-American president of the USA. But we know race wasn't the reason behind it at all. I say congratulations for voting the right man for the job based on his intelligence and integrity, for his dream and vision, and for that I respect you as a nation.

I'm smiling. And I can't stop smiling. Because today is all about the strength of hope and unity :)

p/s: Adding this in as I absolutely love this interview (I LOVE John Cleese! I think he's one of the most wacky, intelligent men on Earth. I'd vote him for President if I could ;p)




Soundtrack: Web feed from CNN.com Live
Mood: Exhilirated
Location: Office cubicle
(Not-so)Random thought: And oh COME ON... McCain and Palin? I've never seen a more non-intellectually-challenging pair of presidential candidates ever. Aside from Malaysia's own politicans of course.
(The truly)Random thought: Hey. Looks like our local ulamas and politicians need not worry about how to be rid of the heavy metal/black metal social problem anymore. Har har.

No comments: